birding-aus

New Atlas

To: <>
Subject: New Atlas
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:38:36 +1100
Hi All,

In the New Atlas, Table 3, Appendix 4, page 739 is a table of species recorded less frequently in the new atlas than in the old atlas. This table has an entry for Brahminy Kite that actually shows an increase in reporting rate. Either this is in the wrong table or the figures are  wrong or something.

This message should not be taken as a criticism, having been involved in the production of scientific papers and books in the past I know how easy it is for little errors to avoid detection until after publication. Rather this is a request for the true status of the Brahminy Kite to be revealed.

In reply to Andrew Silcocks message re criticism of the vignettes, I will say that I was one of those critics and that if I have offended anyone then I apologise. As an artist, I couldn't draw water through a straw, but I still feel I should be able to say what I think. I did say that some of the drawings were stunning, without saying which ones; so any artist who read my message is free to think of themself as being in the stunning category and not the amateurish one.

Overall, the New Atlas is a credit to all involved in its production and I will find it of immense interest and value for years to come. The authors have foreshadowed the possibility of more atlasses in the future, the problem will be what to call them 'The Newer .....', 'The Even Newer', 'The Absolute Newest .....' ?
Regards to all
Paul Osborn