birding-aus

Tassie Birding

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Tassie Birding
From: "David Siems" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:26:28 +1100

Hi Netters,

               Had a morning along the Tamar Valley board walk north of Launceston with friends and saw 24 species with Reed Warbler, Little Grassbird, Swans with numerous cygnets, and Black Duck with imm. The big surprise was a platypus in the channel near the office which brought the staff and visitors out with their cameras. No waders were seen along the mud flats.

               Saturday night reading the Advocate and was pleased to read a Birding Australia ad for an outing for members and visitors on Sunday at Leven Canyon 60km south/west of Devonport at 8:30am. I met the leader Paul and with the group we checked the Canyon and surrounding areas, seeing four Robins, Dusky, Scarlet, Flame and Pink. Yellow Wattlebirds, Tassie Rosellas. Tassie and Brown Thornbills, Tassie Currawong, Forest Raven, over 40 species by lunch time when I had to leave to see friends.

When I mentioned no waders on my visit to the Tamar, the reply was, “you were in the wrong part of the river, and you need to be at Georgetown”. Nothing like local knowledge to sort things out and Georgetown here I come during the week.

All the Best

David Siems

Devonport

Tasmania