birding-aus

Twitchathon Report, "Tuck Al Barrys" North Queensland

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Twitchathon Report, "Tuck Al Barrys" North Queensland
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:24:01 +1000
Greetings,

I know some of you in the Bcc were not approached for sponsorship, but look out next year! For many this is sent for your information. To our sponsors we say thanks. The main reason for entering was to have fun and we achieved that in spades. Winning the beginners section and coming equal fourth overall was a good performance.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Twitchathon 2003 Report to Sponsors

"Tuck Al Barrys"

Total Birds 160

Our team consisted of Clayton Barry, Peter Tuck and Alan Gillanders. The list below indicates where the birds were first seen during the Twitch.. One can observe to some degree the functioning of the law of diminishing returns. Birds seen while driving are placed in the closest area. More time was spent in the Yungaburra / Lake Barrine area than anywhere else. This included spotlighting which produced only three new birds. Some birds were seen and or heard by all members of the team, but not at the some time, so did not make it to the list. Some common birds were not seen or heard. We feel confident of making a significant improvement to our score if we enter next year.

Walkamin/Mareeba Area

Black Swan, Pacific Black Duck , Grey Teal , Hardhead ,Australasian Grebe, Darter Little Pied Cormorant, Great Egret Intermediate Egret, Australian White Ibis Straw-necked Ibis, Black Kite Whistling Kite, Masked Lapwing, Peaceful Dove Bar-shouldered Dove, Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo, Pale-headed Rosella, Brush Cuckoo, Dollarbird, Welcome Swallow, Yellow Honeyeater, Scarlet Honeyeater, Magpie-Lark,  Willie Wagtail, Spangled Drongo, Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike, White-winged Triller,  Australian Magpie, Torresian Crow, House Sparrow, Double-barred Finch, Common Myna

Cairns Esplanade

Australian Pelican, Brahminy Kite, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Eastern Curlew, Pectoral Sandpiper Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Whimbrel, Red-necked Stint, Pacific Golden Plover, Red-capped Plover, Silver Gull , Gull-billed Tern , Caspian Tern, Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon), Spotted Turtle-Dove, Pied Imperial-Pigeon, Rainbow Lorikeet, Laughing Kookaburra, Helmeted Friarbird, Lewin's Honeyeater, Varied Honeyeater, Brown Honeyeater, Mangrove Robin, Figbird, White-breasted Woodswallow, Black Butcherbird, Yellow-bellied Sunbird, Nutmeg Mannikin,  Metallic Starling

Cairns Central Swamp

Australian Brush-turkey, Orange-Footed Scrub Fowl, Magpie Goose,  Plumed Whistling-Duck, Little Egret, Royal Spoonbill, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Emerald Dove, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Double-eyed Fig-Parrot, Channel-billed Cuckoo, Blue-winged Kookaburra, Forest Kingfisher, Rainbow Bee-Eater, Brown-backed Honeyeater, Dusky Honeyeater, Grey Fantail , Yellow Oriole, Silvereye

Yungaburra/Lake Barrine

Plumed Whistling Duck, Australian Wood Duck, Cotton Pygmy-goose, Pink-eared Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Little Black Cormorant, Great Cormorant, Cattle Egret, Nankeen Night Heron, Black-shouldered Kite, Common Sandpiper, Black-winged Stilt, Australian Pratincole, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Australian King Parrot, Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo, Common Koel, Pheasant Coucal, Lesser Sooty Owl, Barn Owl, Large-tailed Nightjar, White-rumped Swiflet, White-throated (Little) Treecreeper, Large-billed Scrubwren, Brown Gerygone, Fairy Gerygone, MacLeay's Honeyeater, White-cheeked Honeyeater, Pale-yellow Robin, Eastern Yellow Robin, Grey-headed Robin, Chowchilla, Eastern Whipbird, Golden Whistler, Rufous Whistler, Little Shrike-Thrush ,Bower's Shrike-Thrush, Barred Cuckoo-Shrike, Spotted Catbird, Tooth-Billed Bowerbird, Mistletoe Bird, Tawny Grassbird, Golden-headed Cisticola

Crater/Longlands Gap

Grey Goshawk, Mountain Thornbill, Bridled Honeyeater, Pied Currawong, Singing Bushlark, Richard's Pipit, Golden Bowerbird,

Kaban

Brown Quail, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Wood Sandpiper, Little Curlew, Black-fronted Dotterel, Red-kneed Dotterel, Sacred Kingfisher, Noisy Friarbird, Blue-faced Honeyeater, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Leaden Flycatcher, White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike, Varied Triller, Dusky Woodswallow