birding-aus

Today at Bowen.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Today at Bowen.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:32:00 +1000
Gooday all,
Today was busy at 45 Sinclair St. Bowen. Qld. 20 00S 148 14E for a little jewel of Queensland airspace.
A female Yellow-bellied (breasted) Sunbird (depending on which Field Guide you use) who has been busy over the last week making some renovations to an old nest finally took possession of the hanging structure.
It is approx. 1 metre from the backdoor hanging on a clothes line that we have strung in the back unenclosed pergola.
Not sure if it is the builder from last year but I can assure you that the female bird seems to be responsible for the majority of nest building and rearing of young judging by past performances recorded for the Birds Aust. Nest Record Scheme since 1978.
The Yellow-bellied Sunbird is a small Central/North Qld. member of the Family Nectariniidae of which Australia has one representative. Quite accustomed to building nests and breeding close to human habitation they are a regular breeding bird within the Bowen region between October and April, our traditional "Wet season".
The male has a bright  metallic cobalt blue throat and breast while the female is completely yellow from throat to undertail.
I am unaware of any eggs in the nest but suggest there are some due to the length of time that she is remaining on the nest. This morning at 0725 she spent a considerable time perched on the side entrance with tail cocked well under nest seemingly inspecting the standard of the interior. After a good 8 mins she then entered the nest chamber gave a few shuffles and settled down for a long period until 0930 when she left.
Returned to nest at 0948 and has been on the nest for the majority of the day, male bird has not been observed of heard.

Jon Wren