birding-aus

Raven takes Galah (& WT Eagle steals)

To: <>
Subject: Raven takes Galah (& WT Eagle steals)
From: "arianwen" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:01:00 +1000
Hi Martin,

I'm not an expert, have just observed Aus. Ravens an awful lot.  I think
this is a protective behaviour rather than predatory... they just happen
to be very powerful at their protecting.
After observing corvids nesting for some time I found them to be quite
territorial (only ever observed toward birds though)... also toward
other ravens, even those they may normally 'socialize' with.
But also... they could go hand in hand... they may then feed on their
kill?  Never observed it though...

They (the ravens) have never seemed territorial towards us... though one
of a pair from a nest we were observing followed us away from his nest
for some distance... I have to wonder whether he was just making sure we
left or what... very interesting though.  They seem so highly
intelligent.

A pair of Aus Ravens sometimes visit our backyard... beautiful enormous
birds.

I have to apologies to everyone for my crude terms... as I said, I'm not
an expert 8-)

Arianwen

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at