birding-aus

re: Vic 'thon rules

Subject: re: Vic 'thon rules
From: <>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:17:47 +1100
Hi David, (and John Boyce, who obviously hasn't read the rules of the
race he'd just come last in! Just joking John :-)

> Can you explain to we northerners the difference between the 8-Hour
> Race and the 8-Hour Open and The 8 hr race.

* 8 hour Race: the rules to this event are the same as our 24 hour
event except that you could begin any time after 3pm in Vic on Saturday
25 October 2003 and finish before 4pm in Vic on Sunday 26 October 2003.

* The rules for the '8-hour Open' are the same as our 24 hour event
except that it can be held in any continuous 8-hour period on any day
one month prior to 4:00pm 26 October.

The 8hr Open is designed for birdo's unavailable to participate in the
main weekend. It can also be organised around a casual day's birding,
therefore attracting birders who would not normally participate in the
more rigorous 24 hour and 8 hour races.

The aim is to create a variety of  race formats, thus giving us a
chance to raise more sponsorship for bird conservation and research.
(That being said, BA Vic is constantly reviewing the rules in an
attempt to come up with the best possible formats!)

In regards to the 3:00pm start, like you northerners, we also added an
extra hour to our races to accommodate daylight saving, choosing to
start at 3:00pm Saturday rather than finish at 5:00pm Sunday (which
wouldn't fit with in with our after race BBQ)

In the UK they have an environmentally friendly version of the
Twitchathon. No fossil fuels allowed! On your bike...

Cheers,

Tim