birding-aus

Another visitor in search of birds...

To: <>
Subject: Another visitor in search of birds...
From: "Andrew and Nicola Sinclair" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:43:19 -0000
 My wife and I are very fortunate to be able to visit Oz for the first
time next late March and to say we are excited at the prospect of birding
there would be an understatement.

We are now going through the lengthy but enjoyable process of planning what
and where we hope to
see various species. We hope to be travelling south from Sydney to about
Jervis Bay area to
Cairns over about 4 weeks. I am really looking for a few ideas - the local
view rather than the usual books! - of some good spots worth visiting and
those best avoided at that time of year. I am especially interested in
waterbirds, widfowl, waders and sea watching - yes I have spent far too long
gazing out to sea, empty sea!!

I am curious by the apparent absence of Australian Shelduck from most trip
reports I have seen. Can they be seen in NSW or will we have to go way south
to catch them?

I am sure there are endless requests like this posted by Brit birders, but I
really am looking to get the very best out of this great opportunity at a
time of year that is perhaps a bit out of the ordinary for us foreigners to
visit!!

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Andrew and Nicola
---