birding-aus

Victorian Twitchathon - first boasts

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Victorian Twitchathon - first boasts
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:15:35 +1100
Hi birders

We were suitably fired up, and have successfully defended our "8-hour
Twitchathon" title. Last year (as the Tang Tang Tintacks) we won by a
handsome margin with 155 species - this year (as a reformed Common
Driving-Petrelheads) we've had another strong win with 156 species. As
inevitably happens under race conditions, we missed quite a few
relatively common birds. The weather wasn't great either, and so we
expected somewhere between 160-170 species, but are happy enough with
156. The winning team in the Victorian 24-hour event scored 174 (just 18
more species) for their extra 16 hours of racing!!

We started about 06:05am on Sunday on a hill at the back of Lorne in the
Otway Ranges. After staying for the first flush of early morning
activity amongst the birds there, we left with about 30 species. From
the shore at Lorne we scoped the sea for albatrosses, gannets,
muttonbirds, etc. before heading east through Airey's Inlet and Point
Addis, arriving at Breamlea on 78 species. From there we visited a
number of wetlands on the Bellarine Peninsula, and arrived in Geelong on
about 115 species. We visited a few spots in Geelong, and then headed
out to the drier bush in the You Yangs. From the You Yangs (on 144), we
headed for the final destination of the Western Treatment Complex (ie.
Werribee sewage farm!), and added the final 12 species there to reach
156 at 2:05pm. For those who are interested, the winning list is
appended below.

Our 156 species does not include Mallard (disallowed under Vic 'Thon
rules) and Sooty Albatross (not claimed). Three teams observed Sooty
Albatross off Lorne, but in our case we thought our view too dodgy to
list it. We did claim the Salvin's Albatross, and nominated it our best
bird. Southern Whiteface at the You Yangs was a contender for our best
bird too, as they're regionally quite rare & restricted.

Waiting to hear from other teams, states, etc .............

Common Driving-Petrelheads (Lawrie Conole, Grant Baverstock, Russell
Woodford)
156 species, 8-hour winning total, Vic 'Thon

Stubble Quail

Blue-billed Duck

Musk Duck

Freckled Duck

Black Swan

Australian Shelduck

Australian Wood Duck

Pacific Black Duck

Australasian Shoveler

Grey Teal

Chestnut Teal

Pink-eared Duck

Hardhead

Australasian Grebe

Hoary-headed Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

Short-tailed Shearwater

Black-browed Albatross

Salvin’s Albatross

Australasian Gannet

Little Pied Cormorant

Pied Cormorant

Little Black Cormorant

Great Cormorant

Australian Pelican

White-faced Heron

Great Egret

Nankeen Night-Heron

Australian White Ibis

Straw-necked Ibis

Royal Spoonbill

Yellow-billed Spoonbill

Black-shouldered Kite

Black Kite

Whistling Kite

Swamp Harrier

Brown Goshawk

Wedge-tailed Eagle

Little Eagle

Brown Falcon

Australian Hobby

Peregrine Falcon

Buff-banded Rail

Purple Swamphen

Dusky Moorhen

Eurasian Coot

Latham's Snipe

Eastern Curlew

Marsh Sandpiper

Common Greenshank

Red-necked Stint

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper

Curlew Sandpiper

Pied Oystercatcher

Black-winged Stilt

Red-necked Avocet

Red-capped Plover

Masked Lapwing

Pacific Gull

Silver Gull

Caspian Tern

Crested Tern

Whiskered Tern

Rock Dove

Spotted Turtle-Dove

Common Bronzewing

Brush Bronzewing

Gang-gang Cockatoo

Galah

Little Corella

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Rainbow Lorikeet

Musk Lorikeet

Little Lorikeet

Purple-crowned Lorikeet

Australian King-Parrot

Crimson Rosella

Eastern Rosella

Red-rumped Parrot

Blue-winged Parrot

Pallid Cuckoo

Fan-tailed Cuckoo

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo

Southern Boobook

Laughing Kookaburra

White-throated Treecreeper

Superb Fairy-wren

Southern Emu-wren

Spotted Pardalote

Striated Pardalote

Rufous Bristlebird

White-browed Scrubwren

Striated Fieldwren

Brown Thornbill

Buff-rumped Thornbill

Yellow-rumped Thornbill

Striated Thornbill

Southern Whiteface

Red Wattlebird

Little Wattlebird

Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater

Noisy Miner

Yellow-faced Honeyeater

Singing Honeyeater

White-eared Honeyeater

White-plumed Honeyeater

Brown-headed Honeyeater

White-naped Honeyeater

Crescent Honeyeater

New Holland Honeyeater

Eastern Spinebill

White-fronted Chat

Jacky Winter

Scarlet Robin

Rose Robin

Eastern Yellow Robin

Crested Shrike-tit

Golden Whistler

Rufous Whistler

Grey Shrike-thrush

Restless Flycatcher

Magpie-lark

Grey Fantail

Willie Wagtail

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

White-winged Triller

Olive-backed Oriole

Dusky Woodswallow

Grey Butcherbird

Australian Magpie

Pied Currawong

Grey Currawong

Forest Raven

Little Raven

White-winged Chough

Satin Bowerbird

Singing Bushlark

Skylark

Australian Pipit

House Sparrow

Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Zebra Finch

Diamond Firetail

European Greenfinch

European Goldfinch

Welcome Swallow

Tree Martin

Fairy Martin

Australian Reed-Warbler

Little Grassbird

Golden-headed Cisticola

Silvereye

Bassian Thrush

Common Blackbird

Common Starling

Common Myna

156 species

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail:
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information
intended for addressees only.  If you are not the intended recipient you are
notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination of
this communication is strictly prohibited by State and Commonwealth Acts Of
Parliament including the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000.