birding-aus

Bird journals

Subject: Bird journals
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:20:36 +1000
Hi all,

Reading over many birding-aus postings and reading old articles in Emu and the Australian Bird Bander (Corella) from only a few decades ago it has become a concern for me that there doesn't seem to be much scope for people to publish observation-type articles on birds and their behaviour today, which are incredibly useful when studying a species (for example look at all the newsletter-type publications cited in HANZAB reference lists).

I am familiar with only the more readily available bird journals in Australia (i.e. Emu, Corella, Australian Birds) but would like information on additional journals that are willing to publish observation-type articles (for example I would like to write a short paper on an observation of conspecific kleptoparasitism in White-Bellied Sea-Eagles, but this style of paper would not be accepted by any of the aforementioned journals). I know of Bird Observer but have never got my hands on a copy to see what material they publish - so can anyone fill me in?, similarly I am aware of Sunbird but have not seen a copy. Any advice from people would be most welcome.

Cheers, Dean