birding-aus

Crested Shrike-tit mimicry?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Crested Shrike-tit mimicry?
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:03:56 +1000
I have recorded Crested Shrike-tits giving mimicry, in Capertee Valley NSW.
On one occasion, late October 2000, the mimicry was of Brown Falcon calls
and wing sounds, two birds were perched facing one another.  It was either a
confrontation between males, or a male trying to impress a female.

The other occasion was in March 2001, varied mimicry mixed with the usual
'knock-at-the-door' calls and downwards whistles (I have occasionally heard
upwards whistles also).

I remarked to a neighbour that the Crested Shrike-tits never feature in the
dawn chorus, and don't begin calling until later in the morning.  My
neighbour who works with disadvantaged, street-wise kids, retorted: "it's no
wonder, with a hair-do like that..."

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley, NSW