birding-aus

sec: unclas Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Stilts

To: <>
Subject: sec: unclas Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Stilts
From: "Tania Ireton" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:13:32 +1000
The scientific name of the Banded Stilt is Cladorhynchus leucocephalus.
Presumably the species is sufficiently different from the Black-winged
Stilt to be in a different genus.  The Black-winged Stilt is quite
common overseas whereas the Banded Stilt is an Australian endemic and
not found anywhere else.

Regards,

Tania

>>> "Mark Newton - Adelaide, SA" <> 21/10/03
13:06:50 >>>
Carrier Pigeon Internet ProtocolHi folks...
I was after a little help with respect to the zoological name of a
stilt.

In Adelaide I have seen two relatively common stilts, one of which is
the Black-winged stilt (Himanoptus himanoptus) and I dont feel I have
any problem with this one.  There is another species which has a
completely white head although looks very much like H himanoptus.  I'm
assuming its the one called Banded stilt.  What is the correct
scientific name of the Banded stilt?  I see the species name as
leucocephalus which clearly is latin for white head, but I'm unsure of
the genera, is it Himanoptus or Cladorhynchus.  If it isnt Himanoptus
what is the basis for the placement into another genera when they appear
so much like each other, although they are clearly distinct species
which occur sympatrically.

This is a photo of the bird in question which I took on a beach just
north of Adelaide.
http://www.thedailylink.com/images/leuco.jpg

Cheers
Mark Newton