birding-aus

Home in Gloucester

To: <>
Subject: Home in Gloucester
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:32:27 +1000
Dear birding-aussers

I returned to Gloucester just 10 days ago after 2 months in the N.Hemisphere (got in a bit of birding but it was mainly a family and friends reunion visit). Best birds Black-throated Diver in Scotland and Common Loon in Vermont USA.

Just wanted to say how wonderful it was to walk out on my back deck overlooking the garden and listen to the birds. Within two hours I had seen or heard 32 species; all the migrators are back, except the Koels (still to hear those) and today I had a new species for the garden list - a female Regent Bowerbird visiting the mulberry tree, fruit of which is just beginning to ripen. The tree is heaving with Figbirds, Noisy Friarbirds, Satin Bowerbirds, Silvereyes and Common Mynas, with occasional Rufous Whistlers, Scarlet, Yellow-faced and Lewins Honeyeaters, E and C Rosellas, Yellow Thornbills, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes and Willie Wagtails.  I heard a Boobook as I parked the car just now (9.50 pm) and several days ago a Barking Owl. Channel-bill Cuckoos have wailed early morning and raptors so far have included Wedgies, Bl.shouldered Kite, Brown Goshawk, Hobby and Sparrowhawk. Sacred Kingfisher sits on my neighbour's Hills hoist, Kookaburra vainly hoping for scraps on my deck rail, Shining-bronze Cuckoo calls incessantly, and Dollarbirds chortle, and so on and so on.

And all this is just when sitting on the deck. Birder's paradise!