birding-aus

Golden Headed Cisticola and Chats

To: "Peter Woodall" <>, <>
Subject: Golden Headed Cisticola and Chats
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:23:02 +0800
I am just back from a very enjoyable tour of east South Africa with Pelican Safaris, and our leader, Mark Caulton, told us that the most dangerous things in Africa have black mouths - the Black Mamba and the Cisticolas. While I didn't see any snakes I saw many singing Cisticolas and the black mouth was quite noticeable - Mark didn't mention if this is a universal field mark of all Cisticolas,.

However I don't think that this is a field mark of the Golden-headed Cisticola. While Zitting Cisticolas occur in Africa (and in Asia) I can't say that I have ever noticed their mouth. Can anyone comment.

Tim Murphy