birding-aus

Narrabri Birding

To: <>
Subject: Narrabri Birding
From: "Ruth" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:52:22 +1000
At the end of September we spent 2 days birding in the Narrabri area. Narrabri is on the Newell Highway in central western NSW.We identified 91 species. On the first day we went to Mt Kaputar. We had been advised that the higher you go the fewer birds you see and that proved to be correct. We did have a glimpse of the Chestnut-rumped Heathwren near Mt Dowe. It was on the path leading around to Dawson Srings.On the wayup we stopped at some of the entrances of walks in the area. Our best birding was along Upper Bullawa Creek. This road is before the climb and is well marked. Follow it down to a right hand turn. At this junction the birding was interesting. Continuing along the road go past 3 small camp areas and there is a fire trail...not well marked and could easily be missed. We parked and walked through to the creek and then into more open country. At the creek we saw 2 Turquoise parrots.

The next day we went first to Narrabri Lake...transformed from a swamp by volunteers. This lake is on the southern side of town, turn west at the last roundabout (or first if coming from the south). There are some island and reed areas in this lake . We saw 28 species here includung a pair of Pink-eared Ducks.We then went out to Yarrie Lake but the wind had come up by then and there was nothing on the lake. We birded in the bush area around the lake and saw a good selection of bush birds including a Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo. We continued south and went by the Brigalow Park Nature Reserve where a Rufous Whistler was singing to his hearts content.We crossed the main highway followed Westport Road and Hodgsons Road and stopped at the Ten Mile Dam....not many birds here and then we followed Jack's Creek road back to town.

If you want a copy of the bird list just email me.

Ruth

Ruth Kemp

email: