birding-aus

NW Victoria Highlights

Subject: NW Victoria Highlights
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:15:59 +1000
Not really a trip report, just a few highlights.

I Spent 29 September -3rd October staying In the NW corner of the Murray
Sunset National Park In Victoria.

The trip was with a group of 6 adults and five young children so birding
time was limited.

Birding along the Millewa south bore track was pretty quiet ( it was windy
for practically the whole trip and little in flower.  However on the first
morning we had great views of 3 Red -lored whistlers within 5-10 metres of
us.  In very small mallee with a shrubby understorey ( Woorinen sands
mallee EVC about 8km south of the shearers quarters.

Hooded robins were observed regularly around the shearers quarters
red-capped on several occasions, Pallid cuckoo calling incessantly in the
same area.  Quite a few white winged trillers about too ( have seen the
comments since it appears they are all over the place in N Vic at the
moment.

On the way back stopped off for another dose of mallee at Wychitella FFR
(near wedderburn) where I got a great view of a Shy Heathwren.

Two new birds for me .

Others saw regent parrots crossing the Murray valley highway on the way up
and Chestnut Quail thrush on North_South Settlement Track in the MSNP.

Good birding, and the benefit of over an inch of rain and therefore frogs(
Neobatrachus sudelli) in the Sunset country.

Nevil Amos