birding-aus

Swifts in North Queensland and a few other birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Swifts in North Queensland and a few other birds
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:12:39 +1000
G'day All,

Monday morning I observed my first White-throated Needletails of the season. Each October there are a number of birds with bright chestnut upper breasts. So far I have not managed to shoot one to have a good look! Is this a moult feature, staining from the nest or something else?

Usually about this time the Fig-Parrots are forming large flocks on the Atherton Tableland but not yet. This is preparatory to pairing and breeding.

At my tree-roo site, the brush Turkeys have not started mound building yet and last years' season was a non event as far as their breeding was concerned.

An adult Cassowary is being seen fairly often at Mt Hypipamee, between the two road bridges and the picnic area.

Barred Cuckoo-Shrikes are in good numbers and there are still far more White-winged Trillers on the Tablelands than is normal.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
On the beautiful Atherton Tablelands