birding-aus

Sandpiper ID

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Sandpiper ID
From: TERRILL NORDSTROM <>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 19:25:20 +1000
I went to Penrhyn Estuary Botany Bay with my mate Darryll today and we observed a number of waders such as Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew Sandpiper, Golden Plover, Red-necked Stint and Great Knot. There was one wader that stumped us so I hope someone out there can help ID it for us.
The bird is around the size or a bit smaller than a Curlew Sandpiper however the bill is around 1/4 longer, black and narrower and it only curves towards the end. The legs are black and the wings are longer than the tail. Under the tail it is speckled with dark spots which also run along its flanks under it's folded wings.
The bird has a eyebrow and it has reddish buff along it's flanks. The underwings are white and it flew a few metres and it seems to have white on it's tail (could be a white rump but cannot be sure). All the Curlew Sandpipers at Penrhyn were all in winter plumage and all had clean white flanks.
                                                                                                        Regards    Terrill Nordstrom