birding-aus

Visiting Sydney and the East Coast

To: <>
Subject: Visiting Sydney and the East Coast
From: "Robert Hewitt" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:55:01 -0700
Dear Birders,

I'm so glad these Listserves exist.  We use Calbird here in Northern California all the time to get and give information.  Now its my chance to ask for some gen.  I will be in Sydney shortly (Oct 10th) on a trip to take in the Rugby World Cup.  On a day off I would like to take a general bird tour to get clued in as much as I can.  As you will see if you check out my web page I'm a professional ornithologist, also formerly from England and I like to bird all day if I can.

I will be in Sydney, Surfers Paradise (Brisbane) and Bundeburg and able to bird on Oct 11th, and 14th, Fri 17th and briefly in Bundeberg on the 23rd.  On the 22nd I believe we are already taking a trip out to a bird island and the great barrier reef.

I wonder if I could get some advice on quick and easy spots to bird and must see locations, or perhaps there is the chance to go birding together.  I'm 39 a former brit who runs a small biological firm in California.  I'm a Wildlife Biologist and tour guide now located in Eureka California.  An avid birder I'm heading down under for the Rugby World Cup and who love to mix in my passion for birding.

I don't know if any one would want to come with me, but getting to meet Aussie birders in the limited time have could be very informative.  My bird festival group is looking to attract Aussie (actually all out of country birders) to our unique location in the Northern California Redwoods.  I see this as a great chance to make birding contacts and besides what else would I do.

I have contacted Birding Tours Australia and they can get me in on a Pelagic out of Swansea on October 11th.  It seems I have timed it right.  I don't have access to a vehicle and would be looking for a ride.  Surely someone would be coming up from Sydney?

I leave next Tuesday, but over this weekend I'm sure some connections could get made.  I look forward to any replies.

Yours Rob

Robert W. Hewitt
Director, LBJ Enterprises   www.birdjobs.com
1707 E Street #5, Eureka, CA 95501

(707) 442-0339, fax (707) 260-0632, cell (707) 845-3189

Godwit Days Steering Committee  www.godwitdays.com
April 16-19, 2004  9th Annual, 232 species cumulative.