birding-aus

Wagtail in Adelaide

To: <>
Subject: Wagtail in Adelaide
From: "Joel Weintraub" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:43:04 -0700
Peter,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes... I have become familiar with your Willy Wagtail and saw many of them during the 2 weeks we were on vacation in your beautiful country.  Definitely not that species.  Willy doesn't have a bib for starters...and the long legs of a real Wagtail would separate it quickly, as well as the walking pattern of the bird I saw foraging within the puddle of water.

As I say... I have extensive experience with Black-backed Wagtails...at least one individual observed for hundreds of hours.  There was no hesitation when I called out the species from the airplane....and I'm confident it was either a Black-backed or possibly a White Wagtail.

Without photographic evidence however, I'm realistic enough that it will be rejected as an identification. I do hope though that I will sensitize people to the possibility of that species in the Adelaide area. The Black-backed Wagtail in 1995 in my California area had a set roost tree and it foraged near it during dawn and dusk, feeding about 2 miles upstream of that tree during the day.  Thus if the Adelaide bird is staying around, it might be best looked for during those times around the General Terminal.

Joel Weintraub