birding-aus

Megalong Valley, Blue Mountains

To: <>
Subject: Megalong Valley, Blue Mountains
From: "jill dark" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:27:46 +1000
During this spell of very windy weather I had the job of taking some English
birdwatchers around the Blue Mountains.  After almost being blown off the
ridges, but we managed to see 3 Glossy Black-cockatoos at Evans Lookout, I
took them down to Megalong Valley in search of a sheltered area.
We had a wonderful day.  The first sightings in the rainforest area were 3
Superb Lyrebirds, 2 males and a female.  Golden Whistler and Brown Gerygone
were also seen but not much else.  Out in the open paddocks we stopped for a
pair of Eastern Rosellas, so checked the area out.  4 male Flame Robins were
hopping around on the grass, with some females, a pair of Jacky Winters and
a Pipit.  Restless Flycatchers and Tree Martins were hovering about and I
was pleased to find 3 White-winged Trillers.  A White-throated Gerygone was
calling and Yellow and Yellow-rumped Thornbills were also seen.  At the
Megalong Tearooms White-winged Choughs foraged in the compost heap.  We then
walked along the 6-foot Track to find a sheltered area where we saw newly
arrived Rufous Whistlers and Leaden Flycatchers,  Pallid Cuckoo, Buff-rumped
Thornbills and White-eared Honeyeater.  I had not been here for a while and
had forgotten how good a spot Megalong can be.

Jill