birding-aus

Mildura, VIC Sewerage Farm

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mildura, VIC Sewerage Farm
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:15:32 +1000
Hi all,

Just spent some time at my favourite birding spot - the Mildura Sewerage Farm in North West VIC.

Weather was fine, sunny, light breeze.  The pond is quite full at present - don't know why - maybe we have been "producing" extra recently!!!.  This pond is around 1.5 kms long and from 100 to 200 metres wide.  The entire edge of the pond is wooded, with an area of "plantation" Eucalypts, but mostly natural mallee and others (hey, I'm no expert in those big tall wooden things with leaves on them!)

Highlights were the arrival back of Freckled Ducks - about 20 were there in a group.  I haven't seen them here since early this year.  At least 4 Blue-billed Ducks and around 10 Musk Ducks were among the many Eurasian Coots, Grey Teal and Hardheads.  Also good numbers of Pink-eared and Australian Shelduck.

Rainbow Bee-eaters were around, and inquisitive as always, for the first time this year.  A solitary White-breasted Woodswallow sat on a dead tree in the middle of the pond.  Little Friarbirds are still around.  Hunting the sky above were several Whistling Kites and Black Kites, a single Swamp Harrier and a single Collared Sparrowhawk.  A number of Black-winged Stilts at each shallow end of the pond.

Total of 59 species in about 2.5 hours.

There are moves underway to include the Mildura Sewerage Farm in the new Barkindji Biosphere.  This is a new initiative that already has significant funding committed and is shortly to have a submission put forward for Biosphere status.  It will include some large areas of Mallee country in both directions from Mildura (including the Ned's Corner property), the Inland Botanical Gardens just west of Buronga, land at Tapio Station, around where the huge new Solar Power Generator is to be built and several other smaller reserves in this area.  Some details are at www.platform09.com/bbs_site5  and also www.ea.gov.au/minister/ps/2003/psmr22mar03

One of the best plans for the Biosphere is the proposed development of publicly accessible walkways and bird hides along the Mildura Sewerage Pond.

Bob Cook
Mildura  VIC
(approx. 34.10 S - 142.10 E)