birding-aus

Barn Owl at Minchinbury (western Sydney)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Barn Owl at Minchinbury (western Sydney)
From: "Graham Turner" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:01:42 +1000
Gidday Birders,
                        this morning on the way to work I stopped for a road kill owl that I spotted yesterday. I turned out to be a Barn owl in very ordinary condition. It was a small animal possibly a young animal, but as I said, the bird was in a bad way. The interesting thing is that it was about 100m from where I saw another road kill Barn Owl about a year ago. The location is about 40km WNW of the Sydney CBD, just past Ropes Ck heading east (I've moved it off the road, not easy as it was on the right hand side of a three lane busy road, did have the Hwy Patrol pull over to see what I was up to).

I was particularly keen to check out this bird as I saw a magnificent Masked Owl on Sunday, would have been even better before it had a brief meeting with a fast moving vehicle. This bird was several Km south of Kew (mid north coast NSW) at the  Stony Creek bridge (Pacific Hwy) in Middle Brother SF.

Graham Turner (who would rather see living owls)
Lapstone, Lower Blue Mountains
about 60km west of Sydney.

And trying very hard not to get a "where exactly is........." reply