birding-aus

Spring in the Riverland

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Spring in the Riverland
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:01:32 +0930
In the past two days I have seen 20+ White-winged Trillers, most for several
years.
Yesterday...
Rainbow Bee-eater
Orange and Crimson Chat
4 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
Over the weekend, a walk along the Murray
Nine bird species nesting or with young.
This morning on my 18km bicycle circuit of Cooltong Cons. Park
Tracks in the sand...
15+ sites with Dunnart and Ningaui tracks.
7 sites with fresh Malleefowl tracks and one working nest.
1 Echidna
I only set of fox tracks, so my baiting program is showing good results.
2 pairs of Banded Lapwings have been resident in one of the swales for two
months and this morning one tried desperately to lure me away, a sure sign
of a nest, or young nearby.
I pass 4 Little Crow nests each time I do my circuit and this morning I
stopped and made a recording of the lovely soft call of the young from one
nest.
Monday reached 38C at Renmark and the lizards are all out, four Sleepy
Lizards and one Bearded Dragon were waiting for a feed near my front
verandah this morning when I returned.
I am also feeding ( tut tut ) a pair of Magpies, Little Ravens and Grey
Butcherbirds, all with young in the nest in my 8Ha front garden.
Doug Holly
Monash Sth. Aust.