birding-aus

Screeching Old Woman Owl

To: " Hi" <>
Subject: Screeching Old Woman Owl
From: Jennifer Spry <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:52:29 +1000
Hi all,

I have also heard the Barking Owl called "Murdered Woman Bird", and having been woken from sleep in a small tent, alone in the bush at Melville Caves SP in central Vic, I assure you the name is very apt and sleep does not return as one wonders if they are to be the next victim - especially as, at the time, I had never heard the call before and had no idea that it was a bird, not a woman having a knife twisted between her ribs, if not worse.

A visit to my "trivia" guide book, An Australian Bird Book, J A Leach, 1918 edition (cost at the time, 4/-) I see that Ninox connivens is called "Winking Owl". Do they?

regards

Jen

Birding Services Brisbane wrote:

Hi Peter She is referring to the Barking Owl (Ninox connivens). Cheers Roy