birding-aus

The Puny Twitch - the Winter Wait

To: Birding_aus <>
Subject: The Puny Twitch - the Winter Wait
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:43:25 +1000 (EST)
Hi all,

A few people have rightly pointed out that I didn't
include my tally in the last Puny Twitch (1) post and
asked whether much has been added over winter. I
afraid that due to lack of daylight hours my
'twitching time' has been rather limited. Fortunately
the winter wait is over and there are a few ticks to
report.

A quick visit to the end of Station Pier, Port
Melbourne, one very windy (and cold) afternoon
rewarded me with fine views of an Australasian Gannet.
After struggling to positively ID it for some time
well off shore, in poor light and buffeting winds, it
finally took pity on me and flew in almost passing
straight overhead. While there I also noticed a Little
Penguin yapping nearby.

Riding home one evening I noticed a flock of Corellas
heading towards Royal Park. I headed that way myself
and soon heard them calling again. They had landed in
a large Sugar Gum and although it was almost dark I
could see those on the lower limbs were Long-billed. I
hoped that they had propped for the night and decided
to return in the morning to see if there were any
Little Corellas amongst them. I returned in the
morning just as the first hint of light was appearing
in the East. Unfortunately they had already gone. Oh
well, at least I wasn't going to be late for work! I
spent the extra hour along the Moonee Ponds Creek
enjoying what had turned out to be a lovely crisp,
clear morning. No new birds, but very pleasant.

With the recent addition of Skylark near Westgate Park
all the 'certainties' have now been ticked, so I don't
expect to add a lot to my list before the end of the
year. Although not a certainty, I had hoped to get a
Brown Falcon. I usually see at least one each year in
the Puny Twitch area.

I haven't made it out to tick the Yellow-tailed Black
Cockies and Pied Currawongs in the Studley Park /
Merri Creek area. I was hoping to leave work early one
day to get out there in the daylight, but things have
been too busy. Hopefully they will wait for me.

Other good sightings (though all previously ticked)
were a Fan-tailed Cuckoo on the Moonee Ponds Creek
near Footscray Road one morning (made me late for
work), Golden-headed Cisticola - same place, same time
a few days later (late again!) and a Nankeen Kestrel
at Westgate Park. There was also the Little Eagle
sighting that I posted to Birdline recently. This
soared above home one morning as I left for work. With
the carry on the local Little Ravens were making I
could hardly miss it.

With the days getting longer now and daylight saving
not far away I hope to add a few more of the
Spring/Summer migrants soon. So look forward to some
more reports.

Oops!! Almost forgot again, my tally is now on 108.

Cheers,

Alan Flack

(1) For those who are new to the list, the Puny Twitch
is my quest to see as many species as possible within
6 km of Melbourne's centre, while cycling to and from
work during 2003.

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search