birding-aus

red-browed treecreepers in the Royal NP (Sydney's south)

To: <>
Subject: red-browed treecreepers in the Royal NP (Sydney's south)
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:14:45 +1000
G'day,
For the info of members and their guests....
Following  up a recent report (from a birding acquaintance of mine), I observed yesterday 3 red-browed treecreepers in the Royal NP (Sydney's south).
The sighting was Sep 19 from 6.30 - 7.00am, just a 100 metres along Lady Carrington drive from the southern carpark (off Sir Bertram Stevens Dve).
They were seen actually hopping around on the ground, picking off ants.
I know they are reported to come down occasionally to forage on fallen logs, but I didn't expect to see them feeding on the track (which is hard-worn ground as it is a bicycle track).
I acknowledge also that Steve Anyon-Smith's booklet on birding in the Royal NP mentions previous records of them at this same spot (with tall eucalypts above a rainforest gully).

Regards
Bruce Roubin