birding-aus

Speckled Warblers in Brisbane mangroves

To: <>
Subject: Speckled Warblers in Brisbane mangroves
From: "Craig Doolan" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:14:18 +1000
Down at Station Street Wetlands, Wellington Point this morning I saw something
that I certainly didn't expect, I believe it was a pair of Speckled Warblers
flying around low in Grey Mangroves (Avicennia marina) and landing on the roots
of the trees.  I've seen Speckled Warblers on several occasions before but
never in a coastal environment.  The site is a bit of coastal woodland
interspersed with saltmarshes and patches of mangroves.

I didn't have binoculars with me but I saw them quite clearly and can't think
of what else they could be.  Does anyone else have this sort of experience with
Speckled Warblers?  I'd actually seen a survey for an adjacent patch of bush
with this species listed but had considered it an error - I guess I shouldn't
be so quick to judge!  In the 15 minutes or so I was there I also saw a
Spectacled Monarch.

I was doing a bit of a reconnaissance for a bird walk I'm taking for the
Station Street Wetland Bushcare Group this Saturday.  The public is welcome to
join in so if anyone wants to come along, we're meeting at 7:30am, Saturday
20th September, Station St, Wellington Point (UBD Ref: 185, E3).  For any more
info, just e-mail me.

Craig Doolan
Community Bushcare Officer
Redland Shire COuncil