birding-aus

Take the hassle out of e-mail groups

Subject: Take the hassle out of e-mail groups
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:57:03 +0000

After various flare-ups on birding-aus and Cog-l recently I thought I?d just
post this message with a description of how I look at these two lists and
extract what I find valuable from them without to trying to dictate to
others how they should use them.

1. I have a hotmail account purely for viewing these two e-groups (let the
messages sit on Bill Gates? hard-drive, not mine).
2. I have blocked many contributors with the filtering features. These are
people whose messages I have found non-useful over several months. So I see
perhaps 75% of the messages of the two groups rather than 100%.
3. Every time I look at my mailbox I go through and, on the strength of the
subject line delete up 80% of all the e-mails, leaving those I assume will
be of most interest to me.

The result of all this is it only takes me a few minutes a day to read the
messages, and I still get a goodly number of interesting, informative and
occasionally inspiring messages.

Cheers

John Leonard

ps hope anyone who would be offended by this has already blocked me, or
deleted this before reading it!

John Leonard (Dr)

http://www.webone.com.au/~jleonard
PO Box 243, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia