birding-aus

Re: Endangered species (Vict.)

To: <>
Subject: Re: Endangered species (Vict.)
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:28:26 +1000
Martin

This gets even more interesting.  Thanks for your response, which is very clear for Victoria.  Chris Tzaros's reply sent me to the Environment Australia site for their listing under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - I assume a Federal ACT.

When checking for Freckled Duck, the EA list does not include it, even as Vulnerable.  When I check the DSE list, I find the following statement

The Freckled Duck has been listed as a threatened taxon on Schedule 2 of the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988 in Victoria and has been classified as 'endangered' (NRE 2000b). It is listed as 'protected' in Queensland, 'vulnerable and rare' in New South Wales and South Australia and 'likely to become extinct, or is rare' in Western Australia. On a national basis, the species is listed as rare and threatened (Garnett 1992).

The difference in classifications between jurisdictions, etc. is quite interesting.  How does the Freckled Duck feel about this variety of classifications and is there any attempt to get a common, agreed conservation status?  What is the relationship between the EA classification and "Garnett 1992"?

Bob Cook