birding-aus

Escapee??

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Escapee??
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:54:53 +1000
Dear birders,
Went on a bushwalk today in the lower Blue Mountains, being from Glenbrook Railway via Glenbrook Gorge and Nepean River, up to Lapstone Railway (west of Sydney).

Tough going through the gorge with a good deal of flow in the creek and a fair bit of scrambling over boulders. However, 3 good, separate views of Rock Warblers! Yellow faced and Lewin's honeyeaters about, and along Nepean and up the firetrail to Lapstone were Whipbirds,Bell Miners, Spotted Pardalote, Eastern Yellow Robin, Wattle birds, Red-browed Finches, Red-whiskered Bulbuls, and a Brown Cuckoo-Dove.
BUT, not far from the powerlines along the Nepean, upstream a bit, close to Galahs and S.C.Cockies, I heard a different parrot sound, - looked up and put the bins on an unmistakeable -- Ringnecked Parrot!!!!
Own up please...know of anyone who's lost one of these?? Closest identity would be of the Port Lincoln form, though the yellow belly was more splotchy, on green. The pale bill stood out, as did the the yellow ring on the hindneck against blue-black head. Couldn't pick more than the one, and he moved a bit along my route.
I suppose this does happen from time to time? If he's born in captivity, I suppose he won't survive in this environment??

Cheers,
Peter Madvig