birding-aus

CBOC Outing Magic Point Maroubra

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: CBOC Outing Magic Point Maroubra
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:25:37 +1000
About 20 CBOC members met at South Maroubra SLSC to walk down to Magic
Point to view the seabirds. The day was hazy with a light North-easterly
breeze. However as there had been reports of an Orange Bellied Parrot
from this area, we were hopeful of a sighting. After spotting or hearing
about 15 species in the car park, including a nesting Little Wattlebird
we headed off towards magic point. It wasn't long before we encountered
a group of birders who were staking out one of the OBP sites, without
luck however. We moved on to the T-intersection which was another of the
OBP sites. After some time we moved on towards and beyond Magic Point
and then returned to Magic Point where we saw some Dolphins (possibly
Common Dolphins). We saw one Australian Gannet, one Fluttering
Shearwater, and 20 to 30 Wedge Tailed Shearwaters which were mostly
loafing near a fishing boat some distance out. Three Fairy Penguins were
a good sighting after we initially heard them calling. Some lucky
members were able to spot some Southern Emu Wrens. We also had excellent
views of a pair of Nankeen Kestrels which were very confiding. One
member saw one of the kestrels attacking a Horsefield Bronze Cuckoo
without success.

We had lunch in an idyllic spot i.e.. the bunker and cliff top, the
scene of many a sea watch. We were fortunate to see a fur seal swimming
close to the cliffs in a southerly direction. Walking further south
again we thought we might have another try for the OBP but were put off
by our proximity to the firing range which was quite active. We enjoyed
excellent views of a Horsefield Bronze Cuckoo which gave itself away by
calling persistently and two Red browed Finches fed by the track.
Another member twice saw a pair of whales, each time while the rest of
us were elsewhere.

On the return to the cars we spotted  a Sooty Oystercatcher having an
afternoon siesta and two Kelp Gulls, an adult and an immature which were
flying along the coastline heading North. We also saw three Yellow
Tailed Black Cockatoos near the car park. Altogether we saw or heard 45
species, but no Orange Bellied Parrot!

--
John Reidy
Sydney