birding-aus

Grey Goshawk Langwarrin FFR, Melbourne, Vic

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Grey Goshawk Langwarrin FFR, Melbourne, Vic
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:57:31 +1000

You know how it never rains but it pours…

For most of my birding life I had managed to avoid seeing a Grey Goshawk.  I went to the right places, but they just weren’t there.  Until in January this year at O’Reilly’s in southern Queensland I finally ticked them.  Then I saw a pair at Gypsy Point Lodge in East Gippsland, Victoria and subsequently saw my first white morph flying over the road near Bermagui on the NSW south coast.  Well today I saw my 4th Grey Goshawk in nearly that many months: a beautiful white bird at Langwarrin Flora and Fauna Reserve outside Melbourne in Victoria.  A mere 5 kilometres from my house!

It was flying south near the McClelland Drive Carpark.  At first I noticed a white bird, then I thought it might be a Cattle Egret, but then realised it was a Grey Goshawk.  I was pretty happy with that.  Also at the FFR the following birds:

Australian Magpie

Brown Thornbill

Common Blackbird

Eastern Rosella