birding-aus

Ticks in the bush

To: "Ian Montgomery" <>
Subject: Ticks in the bush
From: "wendy" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:06:35 +1000
Ian,
thanks for that info. I didn't know about this usefull side-effect of Vit B.
Yes I do often take Vit B or Womens Multi Vits with various B's in it. I had also noticed mozzies are not too interested in me. I'd always put this down to me being a VERY cold extremities type so I was harder to find if they were using heat seeking - wheras hot-blooded companions were driven mad.
In contrast I have noticed  that  lacewing nymphs are very inclined to bite me - and the resultant itchy-bite lasts for weeks and drives me nuts! Fortunately they don't get the chance too often!! Everyone (of the v limited no. of people who actually know what a lacewing nymph is!) I'd mentioned this to was astounded and had never experienced them biting.
Also fleas bites drive me mad.

On mozzies. My father grew up in Mildura where mozzies were a part of life. He said he'd made a point of not scratching bites and found with time they lost their itchy impact on him. I tried doing the same thing a decade or more ago and yes it worked. Prior to that when bitten I was covered in itchy-bites. Now I can avoid scratching them at all. (Though some of the mozzie born diseases that are about and spreading now are rather worrying.)

thanks again,
Wendy Moore
Friends of Craigieburn Grassland, Melb. Vic.