birding-aus

Bunya Mountains trip report

To: "Mark & Lan Vaney" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bunya Mountains trip report
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 03:23:36 +1000
Took a 3 day visit to the Bunya Mountains earlier this week, mostly for R &R, but did some birding as well.The Bunya's are 200 km west of where we live on the Blackall Range and have a similair altitude and habitat, though the Bunya's have more vine forest. Travelled via Kilcoy, Moore, Blackbutt, Yarraman, Maidenwell and then up to the Bunya's.
     We didn't expect to see anything really different to what we usually see most days at home, and we weren't disappointed! We saw a fairly miserly 40 species only in the mountains where the rainforests were very dry and mostly barren of obvious avifauna.We most enyoyed traversing the euc.woodlands and grasstree areas on the SW slopes.Most interesting sighting was of a newly fledged Brush Cuckoo being feed frequently by a very busy White-browed Scrubwren. It took us some time to figure out the very young cuckoo, narrowing it down to brush or fantail (it was already too large for any of the bronze cuckoos).We finally opted for brush in the absence of any eye-ring and very short tail (though this may be a function of age).The cuckoo had to frequently lift-up its tail to maintain balance on the branch..Other good sightings included Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring over the slopes, a pair of Spotted Pardalote looking for a nest site,great views of White-throated Treecreepers, Suberb and Variegated Fairywrens, three species of scrubwren. Only two species of honeyeater,Lewins and Eastern Spinebill.In the rainforest we saw a few Russet-tailed Thrush and did manage to hear a Paradise Riflebird. I tried for the Sooty Owl at the walk-through fig tree one night with no success.

     On the way home stopped by the roadside about 9km before Maidenwell when we heard an unusual call. Spent about 20 mins and got some good dry country birds which we hadn't seen for a long time .The unusual (for us) call belonged to Apostlebirds but we also found Red-rumped Parrots, Pale-headed Rosella, Rufous Whistler, Double -barred Finch,Restless flycatcher, Superb Fairywrenand then a pair of Cockatiels flew overhead. In the settlement of Maidenwell itself we found a party of Grey-crowned Babblers and listened to their yahooing.
    Raptors were few and far between.Apart from the single wedgie in the mountains we only encountered a single Brown Falcon on the trip up, and a single White-shouldered Kite on the way home.

      Russ Lamb, SEQ