birding-aus

Sydney OBP

Subject: Sydney OBP
From: Jon Starks <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:36:03 +1000
Following up the sighting of the OBP at Maroubra, I spent most of Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday searching for the bird. The rifle range and adjacent old tip site contain a vast amount of potentially suitable habitat for a parrot. The native daisy Senecio is flowering and seeding all over the site. This is a known OBP food plant. There could also be some seeding sedges and shrubs in the remnant coastal heath. Although I didn't find the parrot there is a large area over which it could occur and I would encourage Sydney birders to search the area as widely and as often as possible to try and relocate it. In particular, it's important to look for the leg bands to try and read the letter on the blue band on it's right leg. There is so much we can learn from this bird and, with the earlier sighting at Shellharbour in late May, could greatly increase our understanding of OBPs at sites beyond their known range.
Jonathan Starks
Winter Co-ordinator,
OBP Recovery Program