birding-aus

Spring on the way.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Spring on the way.
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:50:52 +1000
You know that Spring is on the way in our part of the world when you see the first Masked Lapwing chicks for the season.  This happened last week 31st July in the urban part of Sunderland Bay on Phillip Island (in the quite appropriately named for the occasion Plover Street!).  Parents were fussing over their three chicks when I went to pick up a friend.  On the way out of the street I also saw my first Fantail Cuckoo for the season. A double whammy!  My friend said she thought the chicks had hatched the previos weekend - so the chick had survived for at least 5 days at that stage.

We saw a second batch of chicks at Newhaven beside the main road on our way off the Island.

Four chicks hatched behind one of the holiday houses over the road from my place in urban Cowes earlier this wee.It is unusual to see four chick from one hatching.  Unfortunately I could only find one of them today.  I hope the others were hidden around the place, but I fear they have been discovered by some of the many predator species around; Magpie, Raven, Silver Gulls, cats, dogs, cars, etc.  It's a worry growing up in the suburbs!

Elizabeth Shaw
Surefoot Explorations
Phillip Island
Victoria