birding-aus

RFI - birding around Brisbane and up to Cairns

Subject: RFI - birding around Brisbane and up to Cairns
From: "Mike Clarke" <>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 04:35:56 +0100
Hi All

First of all many thanks to all those Sydney based birders who replied to my earler e-mail.

Just to refresh I am a UK birder currently backpacking up the E coast. I am going to visit Lamington tomorrow for a few days, but I will then get to Brisbane at the end of the week. I just wondered if there are any birders in Brisbane who have a spare seat, but would like some extra petrol money I would welcome some birding company! I will be available from Sunday and expect to be around Brisbane for a week or so. I can be contacted on this e-mail or on 0405093650. Any assistance on sites I should visit for special birds and how to get there on public transport would also be very useful.

From Brisbane I will then head up the coast to Cairns and would also
appreciate any assistance on this leg on my trip, but am a little vague at the moment as to where I will be stopping off and when. I guess I will try and get to Eungella and Mission Beach, but are there any other good sites I should stop off at before getting to Cairns?

On a seperate note from birding I spent most of yesterday pm watching whales passing Cape Byron, which at the moment has to be the highlight of my trip so far. They were regularly breaching and waving their tail flukes - truly amazing! Also saw sev bottlenose dolphins and a turtle sp (was big brownish and with a 'scale' pattern visible on its shell - any ideas as to what species occur here?).

Anyway thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards

Mike