birding-aus

Collecting Birds

To: "Alan Morris" <>
Subject: Collecting Birds
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:04:53 +0930
Alan, you seem to be missing my point a bit. I have no objection to the collection of birds provided they are already dead. It's the unnecessary killing of this one that I and others are objecting to.  I think laws which allow the killing of birds for collection purposes are outdated and misguided and, as others have said, existing permits should be rescinded and no new ones issued.
It has also been demonstrated by the collector's own record in the SA Ornithologist that this collection was not justified as SA Yellow Chat skins already existed in the SA Museum.  Legally it's not the fault of the museum, the problem lies with the issuing of collection permits by DEH (here) which still allows killing .  By all means collect the already dead specimens.

Vendetta ?  It's very disappointing to find that the SAOA, of which I was vice president for some years, has , after nine months, still done nothing by way of lobbying the SA Govt and/or it's departments, and said nothing about the callous actions of one of it's members. Rather, it appears to give credit to the incident by printing it in it's major publication.
 I want to force all this out into the open and get some changes made. I may not succeed, but at least I'll know that I for one didn't sit on my bot saying nothing for fear of causing a stir.  It's not that I have anything else against this fellow , I hardly know him, but he did a morally and scientifically unsupportable thing and needs to be told.

I agree with the thrust of your last paragraph.

I hope this clarifies my position for you.

Tony.