birding-aus

Square-tailed Kite prey outside breeding season?

To: <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kite prey outside breeding season?
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:17:11 +1000
Frank et al,

Here on the Atherton Tablelands the Square-tailed Kite has usually been a winter bird but last year one stayed near my place most of the summer.

I have had a White-headed Pigeon egg taken in my garden by a S-t K while I was eating breakfast.

On Saturday one dropped into the grass of a nearby paddock as I was walking home with bags of goodies from the famous Yungaburra Markets. I stood for some time, without bins, but the bird did not rise and my arms began to ache so I continued the twenty metres home. I looked for the bird with binoculars from the road but was unable to see it. Saw it (presumably) later that day.

Regards,
Alan