birding-aus

Unusual Gull.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Unusual Gull.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:03:28 +1000
Hi Birding-aussers, on a couple of occasions in recent years similar birds like Vin's have turned up in the Brisbane area and turned out to be abherrant Silver Gulls. There appears to be some mottling on the wing suggesting not quite adult. Tell me Vin, did you see this bird in flight? If so did it have the usual white leading edge to the wing?

I grew up with Common Kittiwake and Common Gull in the UK and it's neither! I haven't fully checked the other similar gulls as yet but will do so, in the meantime first impressions are of abherrant Silver Gull. Pity the eye colour can't be seen more clearly. Cheers - Paul Walbridge.