birding-aus

Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Travelling Birds

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Travelling Birds
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:08:02 +1000
Hmm.  Hi Edwin.  I had a slightly different reaction - as follows:

Photography:  13/10!!  Essential viewing for the astonishing, breathtaking, superb photography alone.

Story-line (??):  5/10  (but many people, perhaps including yourself, see the film as more of a work of art than a semi-doco - which I accept, but don't enjoy as much as superb filming PLUS a quality script to support and enrich it).

Variety:  7/10  I understand the reasons for it, but I had steadily decreasing interest in the repeated shots (however spectacular) of geese of one kind or another flying 1500 miles (!) from somewhere to somewhere else without apparent (or at least enunciated) reason or purpose.  (I was, sadly, reminded of that classic line in an old Monty Python travelogue on Venice: "another f...ing gondola".)
Greater avian variety would certainly have been welcomed by this viewer.

AS AN OVERALL 90 Min CINEMA EXPERIENCE:  7/10 (maybe 8 in retrospect).

BUT - I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  A wonderful if, in my view, somewhat flawed experience.  I wonder what his next film, on waves, will be like?  I suspect somewhat similar - and I will certainly go and see it.

Regards.     Richard