birding-aus

RFI Burrell lakes and Hooded Plovers

Subject: RFI Burrell lakes and Hooded Plovers
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:44:40 +1000
On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 08:55:05AM +1000,  wrote:
>    I am off to Burrell Lake (on the NSW south coast) this w/e and would
>    like to know if there are any good birding locations in the general
>    area. Also where is there a population of Hooded Plovers between
>    Batemans Bay and Ulladulla ?

I've seen them on the main beach at Broulee (north of Broulee Island) and
about 1-2km south of Broulee where Bengello Creek crosses the beach.
But not this year (in 2 visits).  If they are about you can often
spot their tracks above the high tide mark before finding the birds.

Even if you don't find Hooded Plover, there is decent birding behind
Bengello beach.  A dirt road runs south from Broulee behind the beach for
about 1.5km stopping at Bengello creek.  Glossy Black Cockatoo is often
found along this road.  Starting on the southside of Bengello Creek
there is a sandy track in the dunes (as well as the 4wd track behind
the dunes).  I've had excellent view of emu-wrens when walking it.
Also on the southside of Benjello Creek (over the footbridge) a 4wd
track goes west ~1km to the Moruya road. It goes through taller forest
which can be good, e.g. Little Lorikeet.

I've also seen Hooded Plover at   Pretty Beach in Murramarang and I believe
they occur at Bawley Point.  The Eurobodalla Natural History Society seems
very active and would a good source of info.

Andrew taylor