birding-aus

Niven and James' new Top-End Guide

To: <>
Subject: Niven and James' new Top-End Guide
From: <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:08:44 +1000
Hello again,

If you're going to the Top-end of the NT and want to see lots of birds, and you
are a keen user of the Thomas & Thomas guide, then Niven McCrie's and James
Watson's new guide (Finding Birds in Darwin, Kakadu and the Top End) is
definitely worth having a copy of in your glove-box.

For a start, the maps are to scale (most are plotted using a GPS), so you can
actually find the places which are mentioned in the text without having to
decipher a crude sketch.  For me the map inaccuracies are probably the most
frustrating part of the T&T guide.

There are long lists of likely species, indicators of good times of year to see
particular species, and likely times/tides etc.  There is also a list of key
species, with possible hot-spots.

We used an early draft of the book on a 2 week trip around Darwin last year,
and despite being relatively novice birdwatchers, we still managed to see many
of the tricky top-end target species.

This guide will be an invaluable help to birding-visitors to the Top End long
into the future. Good work Niven and James!

Regards
Mat and Cathy

PS - We've met Niven on several trips to Darwin, and his wealth of knowledge on
where to find birds up there is encyclopaedic.  We have no financial
involvement in this book, we just know how many years work went into this book,
how helpful this book will be, and want to spread the good word!

PPS - Thanks to those who offered advice to Cathy about Uluru Grasswrens
earlier in the week.