birding-aus

The status of birds associated with Serendip Sanctuary in Victoria

To: Messages Birding-aus <>
Subject: The status of birds associated with Serendip Sanctuary in Victoria
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:06:25 +1000
What is the "official" status (for example, are they "countable") of free-flying Cape Barren Geese which are regularly to be found in the fields around Serendip Sanctuary* (where presumably they were captive-bred until Serendip ceased its captive-breeding programs some years ago)?  And as an extension of this question, what then is the status of CBG at the Western Treatment Plant (presumably also birds from the Serendip population) - or anywhere else around Melbourne for that matter?  I assume (but don't know) that the significant CBG population at Phillip Island is a "natural" population, with no relationship with the ex-Serendip birds?
Similarly, what is the status of the Emus to be found within the Serendip boundary fences (usually on the western side of the sanctuary property, with the large population of kangaroos)?
And while on this subject, what is the status of any Magpie Geese seen around Melbourne (I remember one was present at Edithvale Wetlands a year or so ago) - I'm assuming these are also the result of former captive-breeding at Serendip?
On the other hand I understand that the Brolgas which have been seen recently on the Bellarine Peninsula and previously at Werribee have nothing to do with the small captive population at Serendip and are wild migrants returning to historical breeding sites.  Correct?
All contributions welcomed.
Richard Nowotny

*  Serendip Sanctuary, now a sort of small "bird-zoo" frequented by school groups and other visitors, is located between Melbourne and Geelong (closer to Geelong).

RICHARD NOWOTNY
8 Pier St   Port Melbourne
VIC  AUSTRALIA  3207
(H)  61-3-9645.6870