birding-aus

Bourkie's and Budgies

Subject: Bourkie's and Budgies
From: Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:15:52 +1000
Hello All,
This winter we're probably seeing more Bourke's Parrots here on Bowra than we have for about 20 years. We're seeing pairs and flocks of from 5 to 10. I think that everyone who has visited since March have been rewarded with sightings of these dear little birds.
We also have lots of Blue-bonnets. I saw a flock of about 30 Budgies to-day about 4klms. from the homestead, and when I mentioned it to Ian he said that he is seeing flocks of up to about 100 out in the paddocks of the property. I heard Brolgas calling constantly for a day and a half last week and went to look for them. Found 10, half looked like last years chicks, and a pair were slightly apart from the others, with one of the pair doing all the calling.Hopefully we will have some baby Brolgas!
Last Sunday just before dusk a Square-tailed Kite flew over the house, but we're still waiting for our Grey Falcons.
We had a White-bellied Sea-eagle here for about 10 days, either feeding on a 'roo carcass beside the road or in close vicinity to it.
Ian has seen them out here before, about 30 years ago S.W. of Eulo, I suppose in the vicinity of the Currawinya Lakes, but never eating carrion on the outskirts of Cunnamulla.
A great sight to-day, a Bush-stone Curlew in one of the paddocks near the house. We used to see these birds fairly regularly, but because we haven't seen them for quite a few years we feared that the foxes and feral cats may have decimated the population, so we are pretty happy about this sighting.
Ian saw a flock of about 200 Major Mitchell's on and around a trough yesterday, and although we do see large flocks of these beautiful birds He said that this particular sighting was quite spectacular.
Cheers,
Julie.