birding-aus

re: Most commonly reported bird in Australia

To: Andy Burton <>
Subject: re: Most commonly reported bird in Australia
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:30:09 +1000
Andy Burton wrote:

For what it's worth my 5 most visible bird species in NSW since 1st Jan 2001 are:

Australian Magpie    590 records
Rainbow Lorikeet    550
Noisy Miner        550
Pied Currawong        384
Welcome Swallow 364

Andy's points are well made, and along with others here, he's flushing out some of the important assumptions and misconceptions that go along with assessing bird abundance. Incidentally - the top 5 above from Andy are all highly visible "from the car" species. Any idea Andy of how your records break down? (intentional surveys vs. incidentals, etc.).

My surveys quoted here were exactly that, ie. intentional surveys rather than random observations - I don't include birds seen from the car, except for the odd interesting incidental record. Sometimes an interesting bird seen from the car encourages me to stop there and do an area search survey. When I survey in grassy woodland, I probably see fewer than half the species I record (the rest heard) at least initially - though the longer I stay, the more "heard" are converted to "seen as well".

Keep the discussion going - this is good - all about BIRDS ....

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail:
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information
intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward without permission.