birding-aus

Woodlands Historic Park and a new bird

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Woodlands Historic Park and a new bird
From: "Lyell" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:06:09 +1000
Hi All,
    First, I would like to thank Michael Norris, Lawrie Conole and others for their postings for the above park. A fabulous birding area literally on our front doorstep.
    Over the last week I've made 2 visits to the park, for an hour or so each time, in a preliminary survey for a walk in August.
    Highlights:  Seeing at close range a Wedge-tailed Eagle we disturbed about 100 metres inside the Back Paddock entrance.
Nine BoP's circling very high. 8 appeared to be Whistling Kites with a possible Little Eagle.  Just little specks in the sky.
3 male plus female and immature Red-capped Robins while a male, female and immature Golden Whistler were also around.
White-naped, White-eared, White-plumed Honeyeaters plus Varied Sittellas and Striated Pardalotes all working through the same tree while approx 30 Red-browed Finch and a smaller group of Yellow-rumped Thornbills foraged underneath.
A walk along Moonee Ponds Creek today at the Somerton Road end of the park added  Flame Robin and Crested Shrike-tit to my list of 35 species.
As we were leaving a flock of Straw-necked Ibis flew over the park. I think this is a new bird for the park.
Happy birding
Marlene