birding-aus

Caringbah NSW Birds

To: <>
Subject: Caringbah NSW Birds
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:39:23 +1000

Hi Birders,
Bruce Roubin in  a posting yesterday mentioned the unusual birds that he is having around Caringbah. It is possible that flowering of the isolated Swamp Mahoganies in the local parks could be pulling in some of the birds. In the 1960s & 1970s the local birdwatcher at Caringbah, was Fred Johnston, a friend of Arnold McGill. Fred used to report the first Swift Parrots for the winter for Sydney,  around Caringbah, particularly in the Cronulla-Caringbah area around the Sharks Oval and such places. I saw my first Swifties in that area. There have been no reports of Swifties in the Caringbah area in recent years and I often wonder whether this is because Fred is no longer living and he could identify Swifties by call. Flowering SM are attractive to Musk Lorikeets, and it is my experience that if Musk Lorikeets are present, there is a good chance of Swift Parrots. So Bruce keep your ears and eyes peeled.

Alan Morris