birding-aus

Trip to the Coorong

Subject: Trip to the Coorong
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:28:48 +1000
Hi all,
I took a day trip down to the Coorong on Monday (9/6/03). The aim of the trip was to look for Neophemas. I caught an unsatisfactory glimpse of a few flying near the 42 mile crossing but didn't manage to identify any. I also visited the Messent Conservation Park which was burnt out recently. The regrowth of the mallee was well underway but the upper branches were still black as far as the eye could see. The highlights of the day were two Spotted Harriers at close range (one flying beside the car for a long time on the way in to Messent), a brief glimpse of some Southern Emu Wrens in blue bush (I think) quite close to the water. I didn't realise they occured down there. And an equally unexpected Fan-tailed Cuckoo on the Younghusband Peninsula.
The species total for the day was 75. Here's a short version of the list.
Nick

Tailem Bend to Meningie:
Brown Falcon
Whistling Kite
Red-rumped Parrot (6+)
Kestrel

Swamp near Meningie:
Black-winged Stilt
Black Swan
Great Egret
Little Grassbird
Grey Teal
Australian Shelduck
Masked Lapwing (a group of 32)
Swamp Harrier
New Holland Honeyeater

Coorong (approx 25km from Policeman?s Point) ?
(S 35 54? 40.1 / E 139 27?17.7):
Red-necked Avocet (40+)
Singing Honeyeater
Pelican
Caspian Tern (30+)
Fairy Tern
Banded Stilt
Southern Emu Wren
Chestnut Teal (also more than a dozen at Salt Creek)
Whiskered Tern

Coorong (approx 15km from Policeman?s Point):
Spotted Harrier
Brush Bronzewing
Black-shouldered Kite
Rufous Bristlebird (2 on the shoulder of the road)
Hoary-headed Grebe

Salt Creek
(S36 08?17.9/E139 38?17.8):
Collared Sparrowhawk
Black-tailed Native Hen
Grey Shrike Thrush
Pink-eared Duck
Hardhead
Grey Currawong

Messent CP
(S 36.06?23.9/E139.43?47.9):
Mallee Ringneck
Skylark
Yellow-rumped Thornbill
Grey Fantail
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
Brown-headed Honeyeater
Grey Butcherbird
Richard?s Pipit

Coorong ? Younghusband Peninsula near 42 mile crossing
(S36 17?24.1/E139 41?58.0):
White-browed Scrub Wren
Fan-tailed Cuckoo