birding-aus

Traprock

To: "Birding Aus" <>, <>
Subject: Traprock
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:39:38 +1000
Hi Graham

A few people have asked that question.

The Traprock lies generally north-west of Stanthorpe and the Granite Belt,
and south of the Darling Downs, down to Texas. It's mostly sheep country,
lots of it unfenced. It extends over into northern NSW in parts. Sundown
National Park is also in the Traprock, though that isn't the area that I
usually visit when I go down that way, I tend to bird more around Inglewood.

I understand that it is so named because the underlying 'traprock' is a
hard, sedimentary rock in which drill bits are prone to getting trapped. I
believe other rocks are called 'traprock' in other parts of the world.

All the best

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056